[UDUNITS #GGM-240482]: Support with UDUNITS-2 for fractional powers of base units

Bill,

> Will the UDUNITS-2 package be extended to support the ability to raise a
> non-dimensionless unit by a fractional power?
>
> For example it is possible to square the unit kelvin, but it is not
> possible to take the square root of the unit kelvin.
>
> If this extension is on your roadmap, when might it be available?

There are no plans to introduce this feature into the UDUNITS package for the
following reasons: 1) there's nothing in any of the BIPM, ISO, or NIST
documents that I've read indicating a need for this feature or its scientific
basis; and 2) such an addition would necessitate a major reworking of the
UDUNITS internals.

> Regards
>
> Bill Little  -  Senior IT Practitioner
> Analysis, Visualisation and Data Team (AVD)
> Met Office  E2-040  FitzRoy Road  Exeter  Devon  EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
> Tel: +44 (0)1392 886358  Fax: +44 (0)1392 885681
> Email: address@hidden  Website: www.metoffice.gov.uk

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: GGM-240482