[McIDAS #WEV-606106]: Setting up a local ADDE server for Himawari

Hi Greg,

re:
> I'm getting a sectorized netCDF file from the BoM in Australia for
> Himawari for this project. Does that mean I can't really serve it via ADDE?

I don't know.  Is the sectorized netCDF BoM file for Himawari data different
than the format that one would download from JMA?  If yes, who is creating
the sectorized netCDF files?

Here (again?) is the HELP snippit for Himawari imagery for DSSERVE:

***********************  Himawari Dataset Remarks  ***********************
   You can access Himawari HSD (Himawari Standard Data) format files with
   the IMG* commands by using DSSERVE to assign a dataset name to the
   files. When doing so, specify "WARI" in the 'format' parameter,
   TYPE=IMAGE, and the directory and file masks in the DIRFILE keyword.
   The file names must match the JMA HSD image file naming convention,
   HS_aaa_yyyymmdd_hhnn_Bbb_cccc_Rjj_Skkll.DAT, described in the Himawari
   Standard Data User's Guide.

   You can access HimawariCast HRIT files in the JMA standard (segmented
   or combined) format with the IMG* commands by using DSSERVE to assign a
   dataset name to the files. When doing so, specify "WARC" in the 'format'
   parameter, TYPE=IMAGE, and the directory and file masks in the DIRFILE
   keyword. The names of files should look similar to
   IMG_DK01B16_201508290810_010 or IMG_DK01IR2_201601120130.

What I don't now is if the sectorized netCDF files you are referring to
is different from the Himawari Standard Data format files referred to
in the snippit.

re:
> If so Is there any way for me to plot this imagery with MCIDAS?

You should be able to use either/both McIDAS-V or the IDV to display
the BoM netCDF files if they are "good" (meaning that they are CF
compliant, etc.).  Have you tried using either McV or the IDV yet?

re:
> I tried
> renaming the file according to the Himawari standard data user's guide but
> imglist just comes back with imglist.k: No images satisfy selection
> criteria .

This result strongly suggests that the sectorized netCDF format is
different, and so not supported.

re:
> I can share a sample file with you if that helps.

That would help, yes.  It might be possible to roll a new server based
on the SCMI (sectorized Cloud and Moisture Image) one that I wrote to
support the sectorized GOES-16 netCDF4 files that are being sent in
NOAAPort.

re:
> Any suggestions?

The quickest thing is to see if you can use either/both McIDAS-V or the
IDV.

No matter what, please make one or a few of the BoM files available so
I can take a look.

By the way, I just made Unidata McIDAS-X v2017 available.  I am frantically
working on the documentation, so I can assure you that logs of things will
needed to be updated.

Ticket ID: WEV-606106
Department: Support McIDAS