[McIDAS #WEV-606106]: Setting up a local ADDE server for Himawari

Hi Greg,

re:
> Thanks for you help. Sample files can be found at:
> http://dap.nci.org.au/thredds/remoteCatalogService?catalog=http://dapds00.nci.org.au/thredds/catalog/rr5/satellite/experiments/SOCRATES/2017/02/02/catalog.xml
> You'll notice 3 kinds of files there:
>
> *BRF-PRJ*.nc         500m Ch3 imagery
> *OBS-PRJ*.nc        2000m Channels 3, 8 and 14
> *CLD-PRJ*.nc        2000m derived products

I downloaded one of the *CLD-PRJ*.nc files and took a quick look using
'ncdump'.  My initial impression is that creating an ADDE server for
this type of file will take quite a bit of time.

I then downloaded one of the *BRF-PRJ*.nc files and took a look, and
got about the same initial impression as I got for the derived product
file - it would take a bit of effort to create an ADDE server for the
imagery.  It is doable, but it would take some time to get everything
right.

But, I was able to display the cloud top temperature and the bi-directional
reflectance images in bot McIDAS-V and the IDV with no problems, so there is
a Plan B for you.

re:
> We are mainly interested in generating imagery for the Field Catalog from
> the first two file types to help with real-time decision-making during
> flight operations. The third type was a curiosity to see what the derived
> products from Himawari look like and if we could use those during the
> campaign as well. These are all subsetted to the SOCRATES domain (Southern
> Ocean, 30S - 70S, 120E - 180), and subsetted for channels in an attempt to
> minimize latency.
>
> I have not tried IDV or McIDAS-V as I do not have those packages running
> anywhere here at the moment.

The good news is that both IDV and McIDAS-V work nicely with the files
I downloaded from the BoM THREDDS server.  The other good news is downloading
and installing both the IDV and McIDAS-V is free, quick and easy.

re:
> Thanks for your help! I look forward to getting the latest version of
> MCIDAS from you.

I was in the process of releasing my v2017 version, but this ran into a
hiccup that a test site reported last night.  I will be trying to figure
out the problem and fixing it today so I can get back to working on
the documentation for the new release.

re:
> I know we also have to straighten out the GOES-16
> filenames as well - I haven't talked to Ted yet about why you can't login
> to typhoon - you should still be able to.

I'll try again to make sure that the login failure was not user error.
I don't think that it should be since I think I remember that the password
to be used was my UCAS one.  Please let me know if I am not remembering
this correctly.  Also, I seem to recall that my user name is 'yoksas'.

re:
> I'm not aware that we changed
> anything on our end but it sounds like something must have changed.

Something may have changed, or it is user (me) error.

Sorry that I didn't have better news wrt McIDAS ADDE serving of the BoM
sectorized netCDF files of Himawari imagery/products!

Ticket ID: WEV-606106
Department: Support McIDAS