[IDV #ECE-648048]: IDV Help Please: Importing Raw Data

Hello Greenland Group,

> This is the Greenland Group again from U of M.  We just realized that
> the data we collected were from one single point, and not from an
> entire area, so any data that could be displayed on IDV would be a
> point at the surface level, and not an area.  I have attached the data

The IDV would can show point data (e.g., metars, etc.) just fine. When you
get the data loaded (see below) just create a Point Data Display. You would
then need to define your own Layout Model (which tells the IDV what fields in
each
observation to show and how to show them). See:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/tools/StationModelEditor.html
In the latest (raw) release of the IDV:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/stable/index.html
the point data display can show time series of the selected stations.

> that we have.  I have divided it up into the 3 days that we collected
> the data.  The first day (5/21 - 5/22) is in Kellyville, Greenland.
> The second day (5/23-5/24 6:40) is in Summit, Greenland.  The third day
> (5/24 17:10 - 5/25) was 10 miles east of Kangerlussuaq, Greenland.  If
> you have time, do you think you can figure out a way that we can
> display this data in IDV, that would be great.  Thanks for all your
> help.

There are a number of problems with this data.

I'm not sure what the "110"  values are.

There doesn't seem to be any Lat or Lon values.

The IDV (for now) does not handle text point data that has separate Date and
Time
fields. They need to be a single field.

You also need the meta-data header. Here is a first pass at this:
(index)->(Latitude,Longitude,Time,NetRad,ReflectedGlobal,UVRad,SoilFlux,SoilTemp,TCHi,TCLo,BatteryV)
Latitude[unit="deg"],Longitude[unit="degrees west"],Time[fmt="yyyy-MM-dd
HH:mm:ss"],NetRad[unit="W/m2"],ReflectedGlobal[unit="W/m2"],UVRad[unit="W/m2"],SoilFlux[unit="W/m2"],SoilTemp[unit="celsius"],TCHi[unit="celsius"],TCLo[unit="celsius"
 missing="-6999"],BatteryV[]

Note the missing="-6999", from your data it looks like that might be a missing
value?

-Jeff

Ticket ID: ECE-648048
Department: Support IDV