[IDV #ECE-648048]: IDV Help Please: Importing Raw Data

H Mary,

> My name is Mary Mello, and I am one of the people working on the
> project.  The data was taken from two different instruments.  We
> collected data as follows: temperature, net radiation, reflected global
> radiation, uv radiation, soil flux, soil temperature, wind speed and
> direction, relative humidity, dewpoint, pressure, solar radiation, and
> precipitation totals.  So, basically, observations.  So all we need to
> do is take the text file and make it look like the data on the webpage
> you have told us to look at, and that's it?

Yes. Just make it a CSV file (comma seaparted values). You need the
special two line header. e.g.: The only required fields are Time, Latitude,
Longitude. I think altitude is optional the rest of the line are the field
names. The second line defines the formats (for time) and units of the fields.

(index) -> (Time,Latitude,Longitude,Altitude,PSL,GUS,SPD,DIR,TD,T)
Time[fmt="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss"],Latitude[unit="deg"],Longitude[unit="degrees
west"],Altitude[unit="m"],PSL[unit="hPa"],GUS[unit="m.s-1"],SPD[unit="m/s"],DIR[uni
t="deg"],TD[unit="celsius"],T[unit="celsius"]
... the data goes here,one ob per line, comma separated fields

Then you can just load it into the idv through the file data chooser. The IDV
recognizes the .csv file suffix as point data.  The very newest version
(caution:
very bleeding edge) fixes a bug where we could not read in these types of data
files
from a URL. Also the latest version can show time series charts for the data.
You can access the latest version (I mean we just released it one hour ago)
here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/release/stable/index.html

-Jeff

Ticket ID: ECE-648048