[IDV #GKR-379939]: IDV - Accessing MSG data fom EUMETSAT's archive U-MARF

Hi Marianne-

Good to hear from you.

> HansPeter is running a Linux machine with a "normal" mcidas on this
> machine. Within this mcidas, he has software (in terms of an ADDE
> server) that can read and display locally stored MSG data. thes erver is
> called MSGS, i.e. ahs has got an msgsadir and an msgsaget binary. All
> that works fine. Incidentally, for our EUMETSAT ADDE machine, we have
> the same software.

Okay, I was thinking he was running on Windows, so if he is on
Linux and has McIDAS installed, it should "just work".

> Now, when he goes to IDV and access our (remote) EUMETSAT data, he uses
> this EUM_AD as a group name and types in our IP address and tehn presses
> "connect" and then sees all the data. So all that is fine, and we were
> jsut wondering, whether the same process cannot be used to access the
> local data? He obviously has a group name for his local data, and the
> questin is really, what he should typ in instead of this IP adress?
> Would "LOCAL DATA" e.g. be an option here? Or would he have to run some
> sort of mcinet script within mcidas first to be able to read via port
> 112?

If the server has not been set up on port 112, then yes, he should run
mcinet.  Once the server is running, then he should be able to just put
"localhost" for the server and the group name he uses in McIDAS for the
Dataset name in the chooser.

> I gues your hint re OpenADDE is not applicable as he is running Linux?

Yup, my mistake.  I was thinking Windows.

> Sorry for maybe silly questions, but we simply do not fully understand
> the whole magic of ADDE!

I like to think of it as smoke and mirrors instead of magic. ;-)

Let me know if this doesn't work once the server is set up.

Ticket ID: GKR-379939
Department: Support IDV