[IDV #ZAZ-431173]: IDV - flat image to 3D dataset

Hi Valentijn-

> Institution: ITC
> Package Version: 2.2b1
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware Information: Java: home: D:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.6.0 version:
> 1.6.0-beta2 j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Inquiry: Hi Don/Jeff,
>
> we're trying to retrieve temperature fields from the MOD07 Atmospheric
> profile at various GPS collar x,y,z, and time recordings from birds migrating
> over China.
>
> I'd like to plot this as track data coloured by the atmospheric temperature
> at that height.
>
> The MOD07 product is served through an ADDE server.
>
> Now, the temperature fields at different pressure levels are in IMAGE (2d
> flatfield) and i was hoping there is way for IDV to refactor this into a 3D
> grid?

Not easily.  You'd have to create a new domain with x,y,p and then
substitute the samples from each FlatField into the range of the
new field with the new domain.

> Do you know of model data with wind and temprature fields with good
> resolution over Chna?

I think the best resolution we have is the 0.5 degree Global Forecast
System (GFS) grids that are in the IDV catalog under:

Model Data
  Additional IDD Model Data (requires IDV 1.3b1 or higher)
     Global Forecast System Model
        NCEP GFS Global 0.5 degree

It has vertical pressure levels with 50 hPa spacing.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: ZAZ-431173
Department: Support IDV