[IDV #GKR-379939]: IDV - Accessing MSG data fom EUMETSAT's archive U-MARF

Hi HP-

> Institution: EUMETSAT
> Package Version: 2.2b1
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware Information: Java: home: C:\\Program Files\\IDV_2.2b1\\jre version:
> 1.5.0_06 j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Inquiry: Hi Don (or Jeff?)
>
> You remember our discussion about accessing MSG data from U-MARF instead of
> the EUMETSAT
> ADDE server. I also informed you later on that I had devised a work-around
> through
> McIDAS where I am IMGCOPYing to AREA files in the desired unit  These files
> are then okay for
> doing RGB worik in IDV. Talking to Marianne Koenig today she came up with
> another idea
> on how to do it directly in IDV.
>
> The MSG data on the ADDE server are in MSG native format. This is the same
> format I retrieve
> from U-MARF for McIDAS. If somehow one could instead of indicatiing the IP
> address of
> the ADDE server give the location of the locally stored native files in IDV
> one should be able
> to access these files in the same way as those from the ADDE server. Do you
> see what I mean.
> If yes, is this weird idea or would it be feasible.

You would need to be running a local ADDE server which would know how
to read the MSG native format.  The ADDE server converts the native
MSG format into an ADDE Image object (same structure as an AREA file)
which is what the IDV knows how to read.  All the smarts are on the
server. So, unless you had OpenADDE running under windows and installed
Marianne's special servers, the IDV wouldn't know how to read the
local files.  The chooser sends commands off to the ADDE server
(which can be the localhost) and just reads the stream back from
port 112.

Don

Ticket ID: GKR-379939
Department: Support IDV