[IDV #JNH-841468]: [Fwd: Re: point values in images]

Hi HansPeter-

> I see the problems.
>
> Nevertheless, for satellite imagery at least a complete control over the
> probe area including a resizing down to one image pixel would be a very
> desirable feature. McIDAS does this rather nicely.

Jeff made a change where the user can change the size of the probe through
the View menu of the Data Probe.  It will be in the final 2.0 release.
If you want a preview, you can download the nightly build from:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly/

Don Murray.

> Cheers, HP
>
> Unidata IDV Support wrote:
> > Hi HansPeter,
> > This is Jeff, Don is out for a few days this week.
> >

> >> Shame on me, I should have discovered the probe feature myself. I just
> >
> > Don and I are  always forgetting features of the IDV.
> >
> >> did not fall on the term "probe". It does what I expected. The only
> >> thing for what I did not find an indication is the possibility to resize
> >> the probe. In particular I would be interested to resize to 1 image pixel.
> >>

> > There are a couple of problems with using the size of a pixel to size the
> > probe.
> > First of all the data probe probes all sorts of data types, not just
> > imagery, and
> > we really don't know the "size" of the item we are probing. Also, the probe
> > is
> > in X/Y space, not LAT/LON, and its size is automatically scaled as you zoom
> > in and out.
> >
> > That said, your question got me to add in the ability to increase or
> > decrease
> > the size of the probe point (the small size of the probe has bothered me in
> > the past).
> > Also, I added the ability to change the type of the marker (e.g., a star, a
> > cube, etc.).
> > This will be under the "View" menu for the ProbeControl on our next release.
> >
> > -Jeff
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: JNH-841468
> > Department: Support IDV