[IDV #VIU-957274]: Fw: "idv_2_0RC3_windows_installer.exe" problem --- from John McCormick

Hi John-

If you want to try the latest nightly build which uses the previous version
of Java 3D, you can download it from:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly

This should fix the problem below.

Don Murray

> > On WindowsXP (Professional - Version 2002), I had downloaded your new
> > version of IDV (Version:  2.0RC3) manually (which is the ftp-download,
> > compilation, and run) and it seemed to work pretty good.... However,
> > when I downloaded the Installation version  (or
> > "idv_2_0RC3_windows_installer.exe"), and ran it, I seemed to have slight
> > difficulty and the only thing I can do (that I thought would help) was
> > to take a "snap-shot" of the error message and hopefully, that might
> > help you in seeing what the problem is with
> > the installation .... (I think that the installation itself did fine but
> > it's at "run-time" that this error message came up...) ...
>
> Thanks for the image, it helps diagnose the problem.  With the 2.0RC3
> version of IDV, we've moved to Java 3D 1.4.0.  This version needs the
> graphics card to support GLX 1.3.  In most cases, this just means updating
> the driver for your video card to the latest version.  However, since
> this may be problematic for some people (i.e. you need to be the
> system administrator) we will probably back out to the 1.3.2 version of
> Java 3D that we used for the IDV 1.3b2 release.
>
> > Also,  when I click on the icon that was created by the IDV installer
> > program, the IDV "icon" window comes up but nothing else (like the
> > dash-board or display window)...
> > (FYI)...
>
> I'm guessing that this is just the result of the graphics card not
> supporting the latest Java 3D.
>
> Don Murray.

Ticket ID: VIU-957274
Department: Support IDV