[IDV #MVI-449737]: IDV - Data Chooser data type default

Hi HansPeter-

> I have changed the imagedefaults.xml, trying to change other things at
> the same time with the following results and questions.

> > In the imagedefaults.xml file, you can specified the preferred unit on
> > a per dataset basis.  So, for your case, you could modify your existing
> > one to be:
> >
> >   <default
> >      name="193.17.10.4"
> >      key="LATLON"
> >      place="CENTER"
> >      loc="0 0"
> >      unit="RAD"
> >      user="XX"
> >      proj="XXXX"/>
> >
> > to set the predominantly default to Radiance (or use TEMP for
> > temp to be the default).  Currently, there is no way to specify
> > a particular unit for a particular band in the image.
>
> 1. Changing to TEMP works fine, and the resulting RAW for VIS channels
> is also fine. A little snag is that now M8HRV comes with unit void, and
> there is no drop-down list of units.

The others default to RAW because if there is a default unit that is
not available for a particular band, it just uses the first in the list.

For M8HRV, I get a list of images.  The only thing I can think of is that
you are accessing this at a time when the latest image is not complete.
When you are using relative times, we look at just the latest image to
get the information for the widgets.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able
to recreate it.  Is there a specific time window when the image is not
complete?

> 2. I also tried to change loc from "0 0" to "46 10" (~ my location) but
> latlon stays on the former values close to 0.

This may be related to a bug I fixed last week.  If you want to try the
nightly build to see if it is fixed, you can download it at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly/

> 3. I also tried reduce the image size using keywords lines and elements.
> Are the keywords wrong, or is it the same problem as with loc?

Sorry this is not documented, but the keywords you can use are:

name    dataset identifier (format host:group/desc)
key     type of location (LINELE or LATLON)
place   placement (ULEFT or CENTER)
loc     location of placement (line ele  or lat lon)
size    resulting image size (lines eles)
mag     magnification factor (lmag emag)
unit    default calibration unit
band    band number
proj    project number
user    user id (case sensitive)
debug   (true to print lots of debug information)

except for name, key and debug, we use the same keywords/syntax as McIDAS.
The entries are hierarchical, so if you specify some defaults for
the server, they apply to all datasets on that server unless overridden
for specific datasets.  I'll see if I can get this into the documentation.

Here are a few examples:

<imagedefaults>

  <default name="*" debug="true"/>

  <default
     name="193.17.10.4"
     key="LATLON"
     place="CENTER"
     loc="0 0"
     unit="TEMP"
     band="9"
     user="foo"
     proj="9999"/>

  <default
     name="193.17.10.4:EUM_AD/M8HRV"
     loc="46 10"
     size="512 512"/>

  <default
     name="CIMSS/CTP"
     key="LATLON"
     loc="35 -100"
     mag="1 1"
     unit="CTOP"/>

  <default
     name="GINICOMP/GSN8KVIS"
     key="LINELE"
     place="CENTER"
     loc="504 768"
     size="504 768"
     mag="-2 -2"/>

  <default
     name="CCS039/G81KVIS"
     key="LINELE"
     place="ULEFT"
     loc="0 0"
     size="ALL"/>

</imagedefaults>

> >> I would see 2 solutions to this:
> >> 1. Keep the last used Data Type when a new channel is selected.
> >
> > Since each band has it's own set of data types, right now, when a
> > new band is selected, the list of data types is updated and the
> > preferred band specified in the imagedefaults file is selected.
> > That's why it always changes to Brightness since that is the system
> > default.  Making the change above will set the default to be
> > Radiance.
>
> 4. What would I have to say if I wanted to change the channel default to
> IR10.8, say?

You would use band="9".  However, there was a bug which prevented this
from working in the RC3 release.  If you download the nightly build,
you will get the fix.

> >> 2. (preferred) default to Temperature for IR channels and Radiance for
> >> VIS/NIR channels
> >
> > Except for parsing the description which is defined in the SATBANDS,
> > I don't really know what band is IR for any given satellite or AREA file.
> > In reality, all I really an ever rely on is that I have a band number,
> > not a description.
> >
> > The only thing I can think of is modifying the imagedefaults unit
> > specification
> > to be something like:
> >
> >    unit="RAD;TEMP:1,3,5"
> >
> > which would set the default for most bands to be RAD, but for bands
> > 1,3 and 5, the default would be TEMP (I'm just making up numbers for
> > the example - far from reality).  I'm not sure I want to modify
> > the code to handle this for the 2.0 release (since we are supposed to
> > be in a new development code freeze), but could put this on the plate
> > for a future release.  What do you think of this option?
>
> I see your points and priorities. Actually, there is no pressing need
> for such an option. The possibility given above is sufficient for the
> time being. Your proposal of a menu like style is very valid though.
> Keep it on the plate.

Okay.

> Heat wave going strong, HP

We've been spared a bit while the rest of the US is baking.  Keep cool!

Don Murray

Ticket ID: MVI-449737
Department: Support IDV