[IDD #KCH-279495]: GOES-R/GOES-S and GEMPAK7.5.1

Hi,

re:
> Since Harry Edmon retired in February of this year, the task of
> getting GOES-R (GOES-16) and GOES-S (GOES-17) imagery working for the
> deparment has fallen to me, David Warren and Stacy Brodzik.  I have
> just successfully downloaded and built GEMPAK7.5.1 which apparently
> can handle these netCDF satellite products.

Excellent!  One comment: the latest version of GEMPAK can handle the
GOES-16/17 Level 2 imagery that has been reconstituted from the tiles
sent in the NOAAPort NOTHER datastream.  GEMPAK can _not_ handle the
GOES-16/17 L1b imagery that is distributed in the GOES ReBroadcast (GRB).

re:
> However, I think we may
> be getting the wrong type, because my attempts at displaying the
> images in sfmap only result in maps and no displayed clouds -- the
> background is all black.  I've tried every LUTFIL in the $GEMTBL/luts/
> diretory, and nothing looks like clouds.  Whereas, a simple ncview
> plot (once I click on the InvP button to flip it around properly) is
> clearly showing today's clouds.  I've attached an "ncdump -h" of one
> of the GOES-17 CONUS files:
>
> GRB17/ABI/CONUS/Channel02/20190513/OR_ABI-L1b-RadC-M6C02_G17_s20191332041196_e20191332043569_c20191332043595.nc

These L1b images are the ones that GEMPAK does not support.

re:
> Also, here is the line in our ldmd.conf that is retrieving these
> images.
> exec    "pqact -s data/.state/%ft16 -f FT16 etc/pqact.ft16"
>
> and in our pqact.conf we have lines like this:
> FT16    (OR_(ABI)-L1b-RadF-M.C(..)_G(..)_s(....)(...).*)
> PIPE    -close
> util/grbfile.sh data/satellite/GOES/GRB\4/\2/FullDisk \1 \2 \3
> \5 \6 48 logs/grb\4.log
>

> I am wondering:
> 1) Are we getting level 1 data when somehow we want level 2 data?

Yes.

re:
> 2) Do we need to pipe these raw netCDF files through some other
> program before standard GEMPAK?

No.

Reconstituted images created from stitching together the tiles that
are sent in the IDD NOTHER datastream will be available in a revamped
NIMAGE datastream.  The general availability of this revamped datastream
is waiting on three things:

- cutting idd.unidata.ucar.edu over to a new top level relay cluster
  that is housed in the Wyoming super computer center

  This is needed since the new cluster's real server backend machines
  are built from newer, faster motherboards, have a LOT more system
  memory, and have a correspondingly larger LDM queue (we needed to
  increase the LDM queue size from 100 GB to 160 GB because of the
  greater volume of products being relayed).

- some final tweaks to some value added Level 2 GLM images/grids
  that are being created by Eric Bruning at Texas Tech

- a general announcement to the community

  This is critical since the volume in the IDD NIMAGE datastream will
  jump from a current maximum of around 120 MB/hr to over 8.3 GB/hr

I put together a web page that shows all of the current images being
sent in GINI format in the NIMAGE datastream and the new ones that
will be added to create the revamped NIMAGE datastream:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/nimage.html

If you have a pressing need to get access to the new datastream before
it is made generally available, we can setup you up ** with the proviso
that you understand that changes are still being made (e.g., to the
GLM images/grids) and you will be required to switch to the general
feed when that is made public **.

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
> --
> David Ovens            e-mail: address@hidden
> Research Meteorologist    phone: (206) 685-8108
> Dept of Atm. Sciences      plan: Real-time MM5 forecasting for the
> Box 351640                        Pacific Northwest
> University of Washington          https://atmos.uw.edu/mm5rt
> Seattle, WA  98195               Weather Graphics and Loops
> https://atmos.uw.edu/~ovens/loops

Ticket ID: KCH-279495
Department: Support IDD