[Datastream #SVQ-136957]: GLM Lightning Grids for Unidata's AWIPS

Hi Brian,

re:
> Hey Tom - Are you aware of the status of the GLM Grids from G-16 and G-17
> on Unidata's Cloud AWIPS ?

Yes.  The are very close to being made generally available in a revamped
IDD NIMAGE datastream.

re:
> I'm reinstalling Unidata's AWIPS and would like to add as many of the GLM
> grids as possible.

I can set you up with a test feed, but the format of the GLM grids (that
Eric is making) are going to change a bit before they are made generally
available in the IDD.

re:
> The HWT is looking at AFA, TOE, Minimum Flash Area (MFA) and a couple of
> others.

The fields that have been included in the value added Level 2 images/grids that
Eric has been creating are:

flash_extent_density
flash_centroid_density
event_density
average_flash_area
total_energy
group_extent_density
group_centroid_density
average_group_area

re:
> Do you know if those will be added soon ?

There are several things that need to happen before the revamped NIMAGE feed
can go live:

- switch idd.unidata.ucar.edu to a new, more powerful cluster in the
  Wyoming super computer center

  We've been waiting for some work up there to get finished AND tested
  before making the switch.  The name of the cluster will stay
'idd.unidata.ucar.edu'
  but the machines location, amount of RAM, speed and LDM queue size will
  change

- changes to the value added Level 2 GLM products

- announcement to the community

  This is critical since the volume in the IDD NIMAGE feed will jump from
  a maximum of around 120 MB/hr to 8.3 GB/hr

Ticket ID: SVQ-136957
Department: Support Datastream