[LDM #KSK-757114]: GOES-16 GRB has partially stopped

Hi Art,

re:
> Yes, I heard about the platform issue regarding the IR channels.  I guess
> it's supposed to be a problem mostly during the daytime when it receives
> the most solar heating...?

Actually, it is the exact opposite - the noise in the IR channels comes
at night.  This snippit from a GOES-R website may be of interest:

https://www.goes-r.gov/   at News and Events

"July 27, 2018: Experts Make Progress on Resolving GOES-17 ABI Issue
NOAA has shared new information on efforts to resolve the technical
issues impacting the performance of the GOES-17 Advanced Baseline Imager
(ABI), predicting all of the ABI spectral channels will be available for
the majority of the day. The ABI, the primary instrument onboard the
satellite, has experienced trouble with its cooling system during the
rbital check-out phase of GOES-17's six instruments. The other five
instruments are performing normally.

The cooling system of the ABI is not functioning properly. Currently the
loop heat pipe subsystem, which transfers heat from the ABI electronics
to the radiator, is malfunctioning. This is preventing adequate cooling
for some of the infrared (IR) channels on the instrument during parts of
the day, leading to partial loss of ABI imagery.

Experts have identified four likely causes for the issue and have recommended
a set of ground tests to further isolate the specific root cause. Based on
these initial findings, NOAA and NASA are evaluating design modifications
for the ABI that would fly on GOES-T and GOES-U. The team of experts have
also pinpointed different operating procedures to improve the availability
of the IR channels. This will allow the ABI spectral channels to be available
for the majority of the day.

The availability of the imagery will vary during different times of the year.
Initial estimates predict that 13 of the 16 channels will be available the full
24 hours during "cool seasons" (near the summer and winter solstice), with the
other three channels available for 20 hours. During "warm seasons" (before
the vernal and autumnal equinox), they estimate 10 channels will be available
for 24 hours, another 3 will be available for 20 hours, and 3 will be available
for approximately 12 hours. Through adjustments in operating procedures and
software and algorithm changes, experts hope to revise these estimates as we
head into the fall "warm season" for the satellite. After operation through
the hot season, estimates of channel availability will be finalized.

NOAA’s operational geostationary constellation -- GOES-16, operating as
GOES-East,
GOES-15, operating as GOES-West and GOES-14, operating as the on-orbit spare --
continues to remain healthy and monitoring weather across the nation each day."

Also, from the July 24th post:

"We still plan to move GOES-17 into operational service in late 2018. Even
during
the checkout phase, GOES-17 is observing with more channels at a higher
resolution
with more rapid refresh than what we have with the current GOES-West satellite.
Listen to audio from the July 24, 2018, GOES-17 ABI media call."

https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/GOES-17_ABI_Media_Call_072418.mp3

re:
> At least the visible imagery should still be awesome.

Both the VIS and IR images are awesome, and a lot has been done to minimize
the periods of degradation in the IR channels.  (I'm looking at mostly
GOES-17 imagery every day to keep an eye on how it is doing.)

Ticket ID: KSK-757114
Department: Support IDD