[Datastream #LLB-351971]: Question about FNEXRAD datasets

Hi Munsung,

Sorry for the slow reply.  A water main broke in our building yesterday,
and we were all forced to leave, so I couldn't get to making a binary
ldm-mcidas distribution available.

re: have you been using the TDS for access to the N0R composites?

> Yes, but I used the N0R composites with a grib2 format.
> So, at that time, I did not face with this issue.

OK, this explains a lot!

re: do you want me to cut a binary distribution of the ldm-mcidas decoders
and what OS are you using

> Yes, please. If you can do that, it should be helpful a lot for me.
> Now, I am using Linux Mint 18.1 (64-bit).

I do not have access to a Mint installation, sorry.  I did find an
ldm-mcidas v2012 binary distribution that I built under CentOS x86_64
that I had built previously, and I copied it to our anonymous FTP
server as follows:

machine:   ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user:      anonymous
pass:      your email address
directory: pub/ldm-mcidas/Binary/CentOS_x86_64
file:      ldm-mcidas-2012-bin.tar.gz

The ldm-mcidas decoders were written to work with an LDM installation,
so the following follows the assumption that you are going to use
it in the 'ldm' account:

- download the binary distribution to the HOME directory of 'ldm'

- unpack the distribution:

  tar xvzf ldm-mcidas-2012-bin.tar.gz

- copy the decoder(s) of interest from the unpack 'bin' directory to
  the ~ldm/decoders directory

  For example:

  cp ldm-mcidas-2012/bin/pngg2gini ~/decoders

- copy the SATANNOT and SATBAND files to the LDM 'etc' directory, ~ldm/etc

  For example:

  cp ldm-mcidas-2012/etc/SAT* ~/etc

The first "acid" test will be if all of the shared library references are
satisfied.  This is easily tested by:

cd ~ldm
ldd decoders/pngg2gini

If all shared libraries are found/satisfied, try running the decoder with
no arguments to get its help:

~/decoders/pngg2gini

The output should like like:

Example Usage:
       /home/ldm/decoders/pngg2gini <-vxl-> IMGfile < infile
       /home/ldm/decoders/pngg2gini <-vxl-> -f infile IMGfile
Flags:
    Help:
    -h              Print the help, then exit the program

    Satellite definitions:
    -f infile       Pathname for input PNG compressed file (default is stdin)

    Logging:
    -l logname      Log file name (default uses local0; use '-' for stdout)
    -v              Verbose logging
    -x              Debug logging

Positionals:
    IMGfile         Output image pathname mask (no default)

                    'IMGfile' may contain 'replaceables':
                      \AREA - image coverage info
                      \BAND - image band info
                      \RES  - image resolution info
                      \SAT  - satellite platform info

                    and 'strftime' style day/time specifiers:
                      %Y    - image year       [CCYY]
                      %m    - image month      [MM]
                      %d    - image day        [DD]
                      %j    - image Julian day [JJJ]
                      %H    - image hour       [HH]
                      %M    - image minute     [MM]
                      etc.

Example Invocation:
    ./pngg2gini -l - -f pngfile data/images/\AREA/\RES/\BAND/\BAND_%Y%m%d.%H%M

might expand to the equivalent:
    ./pngg2gini -l - -f pngfile data/images/NHEM-COMP/8km/6.8um/20000511.2000

Next, I would download the FNEXRAD DHR composite image(s) that you are
interested in "decoding" (uncompressing is more, but not totally, accurate)
and then start slogging.

re:
> Thank you very much for your help, Tom.

No worries.