[Datastream #LLB-351971]: Question about FNEXRAD datasets

Hi Munsung,

re:
> I am sorry for the late reply.

No worries.

re:
> Following your directions, I successfully decoded the gini images
> which are downloaded through the TDS and LDM. (For example, the file
> taken from the LDM is decoded through the command, "pngg2gini -l - -f
> dhr_20180306_2205 dhr_20180306_2205.gini")
>
> However, the same problem still exists.

Hmm...

re:
> The following is the error message which I got when I use metpy
> package in python to read the file.

> From metpy.io.gini import GiniFile
> gini = GiniFile('dhr_20180306_2205.gini')
> Navigation/Calibration unhandled: -128
> Leftover unprocessed data beyond EOF marker:
>
> I opened the file through McIDAS-V program to check the file integrity,
> but I couldn't see anything.

If the PNG compressed file got "decoded" correctly by pngg2gini, then
McIDAS-V should be able to read it... I think.  The reason I hesitate
is I have never tried to read the file directly in McIDAS-V.  I have,
on the other hand, read pngg2gini decoded files in McIDAS-X with no
problems.  In fact, doing so in McIDAS-X is part of my testing routine.

re:
> In contrast, the DHR gini image which I got from "adde.ssec.wisc.edu"
> server through the McIDAS-V program looks perfect.

OK, as it should.

re:
> I am not sure what is the difference between those two files.

The GINI national composite images served by ADDE on adde.ssec.wisc.edu
are the exact same ones that can be downloaded from the web interface:

http://adde.ssec.wisc.edu/native/radar/composite/gini/dhr/ ...

re:
> Could you share your idea on this issue?

Please send me (or make available somehow) an original DHR image
and the one created by your invocation of pngg2gini.  I will
then test both in McIDAS-X, the IDV and McIDAS-V.  Until I
run some tests, anything I say would be premature.

Ticket ID: LLB-351971
Department: Support Datastream