[Datastream #LLB-351971]: Question about FNEXRAD datasets

Hi Munsung,

re:
> - what software are you using to extract calibrated values from the
>   N0R and DHR images?
>
> I looked at the map (DHR) with two ways:
>
> 1) using NOAA's weather and climate toolkit and
> 2) OPeNDAP Dataset in Unidata THREDDS Data server
>
> (For OPeNDAP:
> http://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/dodsC/nexrad/composite/gini/dhr/1km/20180206/Level3_Composite_dhr_1km_20180206_2120.gini.ascii?Reflectivity[0:1:0][1000:1:2999][2000:1:4000])

It is not surprising to me that NOAA's weather and climate toolkit does not
work/work correctly with our NEXRAD Level III national composites since the
image portion of the files are PNG compressed.  I am a bit surprised that
the TDS did not work ** especially if it works for the N0R composites since
all of the composites use PNG compression on the image portion of the files **.

Question:

- have you been using the TDS for access to the N0R composites?

re:
> The unreasonable values which I mentioned is like -204749.36 and -272418.47,
> and the
> range of reflectivity values in the map is about from -375940 to -204750.
> Those values
> are obviously wrong.

Yes indeed.  This is undoubtedly a result of the package not unPNG compressing
the image values.

re:
> That's why I was thinking that the values are converted from dBZ values with
> certain
> offset and scale parameters.

The PNG compression of the image portion of the files should explain everything.

re:
> Also, I tried to read the gini file by using Metpy python package, but it
> didn't work
> with the following error message.
>
> (Navigation/Calibration unhandled: -128
> Leftover unprocessed data beyond EOF marker: PNG)

This indicates that the PNG compression is not being handled by the MetPy code.

re:
> I will try to use McIDAS and check it.
>
> Now, however, I wonder if there is a way to read the DHR national composite
> data
> provided with the gini format in python.

The first thing I would try is running the images through the ldm-mcidas
'pngg2gini' "decoder" as this will unPNG compress the image portion of the
image files, and then try using MetPy on the uncompressed images.

You can download the ldm-mcidas decoders in source form from our anonymous
FTP server as follows:

machine:    ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user:       anonymous
pass:       your email address
directory:  pub/ldm-mcidas
file:       ldm-mcidas-2012.tar.gz

If you are running your scripting in Linux, I can cut a binary distribution
that should work for you and put it out in the ldm-mcidas area of our
anonymous FTP.  I offer this since a number of users have had a problem
building the ldm-mcidas decoders from source (even though I never seem
to).  If you are interested in this option, please give me the particulars
for your environment (which version of Linux; 32-bit or 64-bit) I will try
to get to it later today.

Ticket ID: LLB-351971
Department: Support Datastream