Re: [gembud] GOES17 plotting via gpmap

Gembuds,
Just following up here in case there is interest in my attempts to plot
Goes17 images with GEMPAK (gpmap).  I'm still trying to determine what are
features and what might be fixable.

There are 3 main issues I'm working on:
1) IR colors are reversed
2) projection
3) map registration

Regarding the IR color reversal:

Here is what the image should look like based on plotting Goes-15 IR with
sabir.tbl:
http://www.met.sjsu.edu/weather/images/test/goes15-IR-sabir.gif

Here is what the file Goes-17 image looks like with sabir.tbl: (colors
reversed)
http://www.met.sjsu.edu/weather/images/test/goes17-IR-sabir.gif

Here is what the file Goes-17 image looks like with reversing the colors by
reversing the order of lines in the file with a perl one liner:
 http://www.met.sjsu.edu/weather/images/test/goes17-IR-sabir-reverse.gif

But this puts the emphasis at the wrong end of the scale, so I tweaked a
bit:
http://www.met.sjsu.edu/weather/images/test/goes17-IR-sabir-reverse-2.gif

So, I can get the image to look more reasonable at least, but more work to
do there.

 For 2) the projection.  If you toggle back and forth between these:

http://www.met.sjsu.edu/weather/images/test/goes15-IR-sabir.gif
http://www.met.sjsu.edu/weather/images/test/goes17-IR-sabir-reverse-2.gif

I'm trying to replicate the first (Goes-15) image.  they are both using
PROJ = SAT.  Is this fixable?

For 3) the map registration.  It seems like what ever map I choose, the
projection of the map onto the image is about 10 kilometers too far south
and east, at least at the lat/lon of California.  You can see in this plot
for example that the "corner" of California is not in Lake Tahoe as it
should be:
http://www.met.sjsu.edu/weather/images/test/goes17-vis-map.gif
And here the SF peninsula is clearly off between map and image:
http://www.met.sjsu.edu/weather/images/test/goes17-vis-sf.gif

Any pointers or comments would be much appreciated.

-Mike

--
Mike Voss
SJSU Meteorology