MetPy 0.8.0 has been released. This release has a wide collection of new features as well as minor bug fixes, including several contributions from our community.
- MetPy now requires XArray. Using XArray, MetPy provides some custom accessors under the
DataArray. This allows simplified access to the underlying grid projection as a CartoPy projection, as well as simplified access to data as an array with units attached. (See the
XArray_Projections.pyexample) MetPy calculation functions will also now automatically convert an XArray
DataArraywith units metadata into a proper array with units. Future releases of MetPy will improve the integration with XArray.
GINIFilenow works directly as an XArray storage backend. See the updated
GINI_Water_Vapor.pyexample for details. Support for Unidata NEXRAD composites in GINI format was also added.
- MetPy's colortables are now available from
metpy.plots.colortablesrather than needing to do
- Fixed a few corner cases with isentropic interpolation, including problems with columns of entirely missing data (frequently encountered with NARR data)
elnow work with arbitrary parcel profiles
- Gradient and related functions now properly propagate masked values
- Text and time formatting for
add_timestamp()are now configurable
- New calculations
- Absolute vorticity
- Ageostrophic wind
- Apparent temperature (combines wind chill and heat index)
- Brunt-Väisälä frequency and period
- Critical angle (severe weather parameter)
- Dewpoint (from specific humidity)
- Exner function
- Inertial advective wind
- Parse angle (converts strings like "ESE" to degree values)
- Potential temperature to temperature
- Potential vorticity
- Q Vector
- Saturation equivalent potential temperature
- Static stability
- Wet bulb temperature
- Other assorted bug fixes
- Reminder: MetPy plans to drop support for Python 2.7 in Fall 2019
lat_lon_grid_spacinghas been deprecated in favor of
lat_lon_grid_deltas. The latter gives properly signed values depending on the ordering of points in the lat/lon grid.
- The deprecated upper air data reading support has been removed. Use the upper air support in siphon instead.
- The function
delete_masked_pointshas been renamed to
_delete_masked_points, as it was not intended to be part of the supported API.
GINIFile.to_dataset(), which gives a netCDF4-python-like interface to the information in the file, has been deprecated. Instead, now an instance of
GINIFilecan be passed directly to
xarray.open_dataset()to provide a similar interface.
to_dataset()(as well as the non-public
cdmmodule) will be removed in 0.11.
@ahuang11, @akrherz, @asselapathirana, @eliteuser26, @jthielen, @kishan3, @Meteodan, @mwilson14, @shofer16450, @tjwixtrom, @WEP11, @jrleeman, and @dopplershift all contributed commits to this release.
For full release notes see the GitHub Release Page.
Let us know if you run into any problems, either at MetPy issue tracker, using email@example.com, or on the python-users list. You can also ask questions using the "MetPy" tag on Stack Overflow.