[UDUNITS #CEJ-221616]: UDUNITs on the web -- help! (in 3 acts)

John,

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to document for our users what units should be used with CF
> netCDF files.
>
> CF declares that only those units supported by CF are acceptable. They
> helpfully point to this page to determine what those units are:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/udunits-2-units.html
>
> My first observation is that this page has 5 links, that currently are
> broken. So that's the thing that needs fixing ASAP.

This is a common problem with on-line documentation: links to highly specific
information often break when the documentation is restructured (which it was).
The relevant on-line links are now (in order from most robust but general to
most fragile but specific):

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/udunits-current/doc/udunits

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/udunits-current/doc/udunits/udunits2.html

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/udunits-current/doc/udunits/udunits2.html#Database

> As I recall, though, once that is fixed, the users don't actually see a
> list of acceptable units.  They will see XML files, which are hard for
> many to parse to even get a clue. To my knowledge, there is no page that
> lists the values in each of those 5 XML tables, perhaps in user-readable
> HTML tables. In the past, I've had to build that myself.

That's a good idea that, unfortunately, has a lower priority than some other
ideas (we're a small shop; UDUNITS has much less than one person working on it).

It might be possible to accomplish this via XSLT. I'll have a talk with an
expert.

> And once the terms from those 5 pages are in visible form, it is still
> hard to tell what legal units look like. Data in particular can have a
> few different forms, as I recall.  There does not appear to be
> information that summarizes all of this in one place.

The section on unit syntax
<https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/udunits-current/doc/udunits/udunits2lib.html#Syntax>
 is insufficient?

What, specifically, would you like to see?

> Is there any chance Unidata could find some resources to pull together
> user-facing documentation that makes 'unit-hunting' trivial for the
> non-technical user?

We're peddling as fast as we can. :-)

Your email should help.

> john