[netCDFPerl #RAH-648927]: Installing netCDFPerl 1.2.4

Peter,

> I have have hit a snag installing netCDFPerl that I can't seem to find
> my way around it.  Everything seems OK up to the 'make' stage.
>
> I get a some messages that I don't know about.
>
> Executing 'make' produces
> " Please specify prototyping behavior for NetCDF.xs (see perlxs manual)"

The "prototyping behavior" message can be safely ignored.

> Executing 'make test' produces'
> "Can't load 'blib/arch/auto/NetCDF/NetCDF.so' for module NetCDF:
> blib/arch/auto/NetCDF/Net
> CDF.so: undefined symbol: H5Dclose at /usr/lib/perl/5.10/DynaLoader.pm line
> 196.
> at test.pl line 5
> Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 5.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 5.
> make[2]: *** [test_dynamic] Error 9
> make[1]: *** [perl/test] Error 1
> make: *** [test] Error 2"

Hmm... I don't recall ever seeing the "H5Dclose" error.

I suspect that the netCDFPerl module is unable to locate the shareable HDF5
library when the "test.pl" script is run.  Can you set an environment variable
(e.g., "LD_LIBRARY_PATH") so that it contains the pathname of the HDF5 library
(/usr/local/HDF5/lib) and retry the "make test"?

> I am enclosing the the diagnostics you suggest.
>
> A.  uname -a
> Linux magpie 2.6.28-15-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 9 10:49:34 UTC 2009 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> B.  cat VERSION
> 1.2.4
>
> C. which cc
> /usr/bin/cc
>
> E. The  config.log file ( attached)
> F.  The file "makefile.log". ( attached)
> G.  The file "make.log".( attached)
> H.  The file "test.log". (attached)
> I.  The file "install.log". ( not attempted yet.)
>
> I would be grateful for any help.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> /*