20040813: building UDUNITS on Cygwin

Dipesh,

> From: Dipesh Patel <address@hidden>

>       I am trying to build udunits on Cygwin and I am having problems.
> When I run configure, I get an error saying: "rm: cannot unlink conftest -
> No such file or directory".

That error should be ignorable.  If you want, you can add a "-f" option
to the command "rm conftest conftest.c", which is near the end of the
"configure" script and then execute the command "make distclean" and
then re-execute the configure script.

> I tried running make anyways, and then it stops because it is trying to use
> @CXX@ instead of the compiler.

I assume you're referring to this:

> making `all' in directory
> /cygdrive/c/dpatel/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/udunits
>
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/cygdrive/c/dpatel/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/udunits'
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/cygdrive/c/dpatel/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/udunits'
> gcc -c -Df2cFortran -I../lib -I../port/misc  udunits.c
> @CXX@ -o udunits udunits.o
> -L/cygdrive/c/dpatel/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib -ludunits
> -L/cygdrive/c/dpatel/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/port/misc -ludport -ly
> @CXX@: not found
> make[2]: *** [udunits] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory =
> `/cygdrive/c/dpatel/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/udunits'
> make[1]: *** [program] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/cygdrive/c/dpatel/udunits/udunits-1.11.7/src/udunits'
> make: *** [udunits/all] Error 1

If the file "udunits/udunits.cc" exists, then the make(1) would try to
use the utility "@CXX@" to link together the udunits(1) program.

Does the file "udunits/udunits.cc" exist?  If so, then remove it and try
again.

> I replaced all @CXX@ in all makefiles with
> g++, and then I got it to compile.  But, the library doesn't behave the way
> it is supposed to.  For example, when I use utCalendar, and then use
> utInvCalendar, the original time is off by 1 second (1 second less that what
> it is supposed to be).  Any help would be appreciated.  I have attached the
> files mentioned in the INSTALL file.  I have also included the uname output
> below as well as the full path to the compiler used below.

What are the contents of the file VERSION in the top-level
source-directory?