Re: 20000301: installation problem: Couldn't decode "%"

Jianfu Pan,

In the above message, you wrote:

>    The udunits.dat you gave me is exactly the same as the one I had after
> installation.

Odd.  That database and that code work fine on so many other platforms.

> Again, the problem is in decoding "%" sign.  Is this because "%"
> is a special character?

The UDUNITS lexical scanner knows about the "%" sign and correctly
treats it as a token.

> ===================================
>
> making `test' in directory /u1/jpan/udunits-1.11.7/src/udunits
>
> `udunits' is up to date.
> FORCE: No action was taken.
>       ./udunits ../lib/udunits.dat <test.in | sed 's/\.00* UTC/.00
UTC/' \
>           >test.out
> udunits(3): Replacing unit "c"
> udunits(3): Replacing unit "k"
> udunits(3): Replacing unit "m"
> udunits(3): Replacing unit "p"
> udunits(3): Replacing unit "s"
> udunits(3): Replacing unit "t"
> udunits(3): Replacing unit "m"
> udunits(3): Couldn't decode "%" definition "percent"
> udunits(3): Error occurred at line 45
> udunits(3): Couldn't read units-file "../lib/udunits.dat"
> ./udunits: Couldn't initialize udunits(3) package

You shouldn't get the "Replacing unit ..." messages.

I don't know why your system is misbehaving.  We have a J90 system at
NCAR.  When I get some time, I'll see about testing the UDUNITS package
on it.  Otherwise, the only thing I can suggest is recompiling the
package with debugging enabled and using a debugger to locate the cause
of the above messages.