Re: thredds catalog generator

Hi David,

address@hidden wrote:

Hi Ethan, thanks for the reply, and hope your feeling better.
Sorry for sending to you, and thanks for pointing to this
support email. I had a hard time describing my problem, but
your response helped.

I'm not sure if the ETA file has multiple times in the
file (can't check just now). But here's what I understand:

I do know that I have individual radar files, that represent
one unique time (no time field in the netcdf).

So I if have a directory, with a bunch of radar files, one for
each individual time (say every 10 minutes), then idv cannot
generate multiple "times available". files just have DIM(x,y)
RadarFile_20060718_00.nc
RadarFile_20060718_10.nc
RadarFile_20060718_20.nc

Currently, that is the situation. However, the THREDDS Data Server does provide the ability to aggregate a homogeneous set of datasets into a single dataset. There are a limited set of aggregation types but the type of aggregation you describe above should work.

There is more on TDS aggregation at http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/docs/NcML.htm

So I'd need to somehow concat thess files into a single netcdf
file, but with a time dimension; now with DIM(x,y,t) or something of the
sort:
RadarFile_20060718.nc  (which perhaps held times 00,10, and 20)

after awhile, a new file, RadarFile_20060718.nc,
would arrive but with times 30, 40, 50.

and this would be the "latest" file.

I guess it depends on how you are getting your data as to how you might want to proceed. Probably the easiest solution would be to stick with your current setup and use the TDS aggregation.

Hope this helps,

Ethan

Thanks for your help, David

-- Ethan R. Davis Telephone: (303) 497-8155 Software Engineer Fax: (303) 497-8690 UCAR Unidata Program Center E-mail: address@hidden P.O. Box 3000 Boulder, CO 80307-3000 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------