[python #QBL-830922]: A question about advection in MetPy 0.12

Hello! Thanks for the question.

In MetPy v0.12, the syntax you provide here is correct as long as your arrays
are ordered where the first axis corresponds to your y-coordinates. You don't
need to re-order your wind or deltas arrays. That docstring body text should be
incorrect as of `dim_order` handling being added.

If you're able, we strongly suggest updating your MetPy install. Kinematic
calculations such as advection (and our documentation!) have gotten some major
updates in the four years since v0.12 after all! I hope this helps.

All the best,

Drew

> I have a question about MetPy's advection calculation package. I am using an
> older version of MetPy (v0.12). For the advection function, what is the
> correct input order? It was a bit confusing to me based on the description in
> the reference guide.
>
> Let's say I want to calculate temperature advection. For now, I have:
>
> mpcalc.advection(temperature, [u, v], deltas=(dx, dy), dim_order='yx')

Ticket ID: QBL-830922
Department: Support Python
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.