[python #FUF-876298]: Server 500 error

Hi, thanks for reaching out!

As far as I know, there shouldn't be any limiting going on. There are other
considerations likely at play here for working with large amounts of data.
Please provide the full HTTPError if possible for us to double-check.

Given that, the best path forward is likely to interface directly with the
NEXRAD bucket on AWS, listed here: https://registry.opendata.aws/noaa-nexrad/.
Check out the proposed code changes in this MetPy Pull Request
(https://github.com/Unidata/MetPy/pull/3000) for sample code to access NEXRAD
data on AWS. I hope this helps, and please follow up if we can help further!

All the best,

Drew

> Currently I am working on a project that requires me to download large
> amounts of NEXRAD data hosted on the thredds-aws server. I am attempting to
> do this using the siphon.catalog.TDSCatalog function, but after some time,
> I get a server 500 error when attempting to access the database. I assume
> that this is due to the fact that I am probably making too many requests
> too quickly. Currently, I am getting around this by having my code make
> multiple retry attempts. I have also tried slowing down my request rate.
> However, I feel that these methods take too much time. Is there any other
> way I can get around this error, for instance by using siphon.radarserver
> or siphon.http_util?

Ticket ID: FUF-876298
Department: Support Python
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.