[python #CUJ-578004]: hrrr model cross sections

Hello! Thanks for reaching out.

Regarding your HRRR data: MetPy's cross-section functionality requires
CF-compliant grid_mapping attributes or projection variables that parse_cf()
can read, or else you must supply this information by hand. Your provided data
do not have such information attached. You can see an example here at our
documentation,

https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/tutorials/xarray_tutorial.html#non-compliant-dataset-example

or there are a few examples in the GitHub issue you shared. I was able to
successfully create a cross section with your provided data after manually
attaching CRS information, so let me know if you run into further issues there.

As far as tips for working with WRF, I'm less the expert here. I will check in
with some of our regular contributors later this week to ask about their
experiences in working with WRF. This also might be a good place our community
could help out with you! I might suggest adding a comment to the thread you
linked or opening a new discussion on the MetPy repository here,

  https://github.com/Unidata/MetPy/discussions/new

where people can share their experiences. If I get some new context about
options for you here in the next few days, I will follow up and let you know.
Thanks again for reaching out!

All the best,

Drew

> Following-up here.   Any tips on this WRF cross section issue with MetPy?
>
> Should I use wrf-python instead of MetPy?
> https://wrf-python.readthedocs.io/en/latest/plot.html#cross-example

Ticket ID: CUJ-578004
Department: Support Python