[netCDF #WKB-975760]: netCDF upgrade question

Hi Becky,

> I got a question from our support folks here -- when was the last update
> to the netCDF software and when is the next one planned?

The most recent update to the netCDF C software (which includes the
core C library and the netCDF utilities ncdump, ncgen, nccopy, and
nc-config) was on August 3, 2012, version 4.2.1.1.  The announcement
was made onthe address@hidden mailing list:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2012/msg00243.html

There are also independent releases of software for other languages,
including Java, Fortran, and C++.  The dates and announcements for
those libraries were:

  NetCDF-Java (also referred to as "CDM") version 4.3.12, August 3, 2012

http://mailman.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdf-java/2012/msg00194.html

  NetCDF-Fortran, version 4.2, October 3, 2011:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2011/msg00370.html

  NetCDF-C++, version 4.2, September 30, 2011

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2011/msg00365.html

These four releases are developed separately, and have separate
release plans.  We plan to release netCDF-C 4.3 in about 3 months.
NetCDF-Java has more frequent minor releases.  NetCDF-C++ depends on a
third-party contributor in the UK, Lynton Appel, so we can't really
predict when that will occur, although we expect an upgrade before the
end of the year.  NetCDF-Fortran is due for an upgrade in the next
month or so.

--Russ

Ticket ID: WKB-975760
Department: Support netCDF