[netCDF #DIG-256328]: type 2 (char) data writing

John,

I wrote:
>   ...  I thought there
> used to be a section on type conversions, but now I'm not seeing it.

The section I was thinking of is in the NetCDF Users Guide, rather than the
netCDF C Interface Guide (where I was looking):

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf.html#Type-Conversion

It mentions that text to numeric conversions are not supported, but I think
the C Interface Guide needs to also discuss how the names of functions relate
to C types and netCDF types.  No such discussion is needed for the Fortran-90
functions, because they overload the read and write functions to replace all
the various type-specific functions with just two: nf90_put_var() and
nf90_get_var(), with optional arguments for stride, origin, shape, etc.

--Russ

Ticket ID: DIG-256328
Department: Support netCDF