[McIDAS #OAU-236196]: Re: 20191007: Starting GOES imagery processing from an LDM pattern-action file entry

Hi Carol,

re:
> I just got a chance to start looking at this some more.
>
> If user ldm and mcidas are not in the same group, is this even going to
> work?

I think that it should, but since my recommendations have always been to
put 'ldm' and 'mcidas' in the same group, my environment has never
been setup to test a different setup.  I do, however, routinely run
McIDAS scripts from an 'ldm' account.

re:
> Also, if I want to setup ldm to run mcidas, all I need to do is edit
> ldm's .profile or .cshrc file to add the $MCHOME to ldm's PATH? Like you
> have written here, correct?
>
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2018/users_guide/ConfiguringaNewUserAccount.html#22412

In order to run McIDAS, several McIDAS-related environment variables need
to be set.  The important ones are:

PATH          - to include the directory in which McIDAS executables are
installed
MCHOME        - the directory under which McIDAS has been installed
MCDATA        - the 'working directory' for the user running McIDAS
MCPATH        - defines the McIDAS search path for data files (is used in
                conjunction with McIDAS REDIRECTions if they exist)
MCTABLE_READ  - defines the list of pathnames to search for McIDAS ADDE server
                routing information (backing store of DSSERVE invocations)
MCTABLE_WRITE - defines the pathname of the file to update when defining
                ADDE server routing information (backing store of DSSERVE ADD
                invocations)

It is my opinion that it is _not_ necessary to configure the 'ldm' account
to be able to run McIDAS commands if the only objective is to kick off
processing from, for instance, LDM pattern-action file actions).

If you are interested, I could walk you through how I run McIDAS processing
from LDM pattern-action file actions.  This would be most easily accomplished
if you came over to my office so I could show you using "live" actions.

Ticket ID: OAU-236196
Department: Support McIDAS