[McIDAS #IGK-131677]: Accessing a local set of GOES 16 nc files.

Hi Stonie,

re:
> Unfortunately, the last time I used McIDAS was in 1997 while
> working at TWC.

Wow, 22 years!

re:
> So, I just loaded it, compiled, and brought up the GUI.  I am
> saving the individual netCDF files locally to access:
>
> ls /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES
>
> PAA  PAB  PAC  PAD  PAE  PAF  PAG  PAH  PAI  PAJ  PAK  PAL  PAM  PAN  PAO
>
> Such that:
>
> ls /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA
>
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1701.hdf
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1731.hdf
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1706.hdf
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1736.hdf
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1711.hdf
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1741.hdf
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1716.hdf
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1746.hdf
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1721.hdf
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1751.hdf
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1726.hdf
> /usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/PAA/TIRE01_KNES_PAA_20190916_1756.hdf
>
> When I fire up mcidasx, I issue the following command:
>
> DSSERVE ADD ABI/DATA ABIN TYPE=IMAGE
> DIRFILE=/usr/local/mcidas/data/TIRE01/KNES/*
>
> But when I do:
>
> IMGLIST ABI/DATA.ALL FORM=ALL

> It tells me that no images meet my selection criteria.  I am
> sure I am missing something simple . . .

A couple of things:

- the ABIN server in the current Unidata McIDAS release does not
  support the ABI L2 tiles/images that are distributed in NOAAport

  The next version of Unidata McIDAS, v2019, will support these
  images IF they have been stitched back together into full scenes
  AND named according to the GOES-R ground station naming convention.

- second, the tiles distributed in NOAAPort have binary headers
  and footers that were added for broadcast, and those headers
  and footers need to be stripped off to leave the underlying
  netCDF4 files

- the SCMI ADDE server that is in the current Unidata McIDAS
  release does support display of the tiles as individual
  images and full images created by stitching together the
  tiles

  I wrote the SCMI ADDE servers to be able to handle the
  tiles/reconstituted images from NOAAport without the
  requirement of being named using the GOES-R ground system
  naming convention (that is described in the GOES-R PUG),
  and it does work, but I am not proud of the code as there are
  some warts.

- as part of the v2019 effort, I folded in support for the NOAAPort
  distributed tiles that are stitched together to make full scenes
  into the core ABIN servers

  I followed the required naming convention mandated for the core
  ABIN servers, soa the user is responsible for naming the reconstituted
  images appropriately (see HELP DSSERVE for examples of the GOES-R
  ground system naming).

- I revamped the NIMAGE IDD feed that originally just came from NOAAPort
  ingest to be used as the vehicle to distribute fully reconstituted
  images that have the required naming convention

  It would be easiest to get the NIMAGE feed from the IDD since your
  job would then be to FILE the images and base your ADDE dataset
  definition using the hierarchy you choose to use.

The following web page will likely be of help in understanding the
finer points in the bullets above:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/nimage.html

Please let me know if/when you have questions about what I wrote above,
and I will try to answer them in detail when I return to the office
(I am currently in Wisconsin attending the annual McIDAS Users Group
(MUG) meeting).

Ticket ID: IGK-131677
Department: Support McIDAS