[McIDAS #IGK-131677]: Accessing a local set of GOES 16 nc files.

Hi Stonie,

re;
> Tom - thank you so much for the information!

No worries.

re:
> I had edited the wmostrip source from UNIDATA's GEMPAK to strip off the
> SBN header stuff (and, being a good lad, I sent my edits into Michael to
> incorporate if he wanted to), and am currently using gdal_translate to
> make PNG images.  My main interest in coming back around to McIDAS is a
> strong desire to reproject the native GOES netCDF to other projections,
> and I remember doing just that with satellite data when I was at TWC and
> we had that whole "Advanced McIDAS" project with PRC and SSEC (Tom
> Whittaker).

Yup, McIDAS can definitely be used to re-project (McIDAS terms it remapping)
images.  The College of DuPage (COD) NEXLAB site uses Unidata McIDAS-X
to remap the CONUS images that are received in the GOES-R fixed grid
projection into the Lambert Conformal projection that users had long
used in the GINI images being sent in NOAAPort.

re:
> I wasn't too worried about needing to composite the tiles
> within McIDAS . . .

McIDAS will not/does not composite the tiles into full scenes.  Ryan
May wrote a Python script that stitches together the tiles; his code
is available in the ldm-alchemy section of the Unidata area of GitHub.

re:
> I was just going to try to get in a single tile, and
> see if I could reproject it.

This can be done, but the server that handles the tiles and/or reconstituted
images is of type SCMI, not ABIN.  Since you are stripping off the NOAAPort
broadcast header and footer, you should be able to use the resulting tiles
as elements in a McIDAS ADDE dataset.  Again, McIDAS will NOT stitch the
tiles together for you, so each element of the dataset would be an individual
tile.  This functionality is available in Unidata McIDAS-X v2018x.

Unidata McIDAS-X v2019 contains the work I did to combine serving of the
NOAAPort and GRB delivered GOES-16/17 imagery.

My comment about the NIMAGE IDD feed was to make sure that you knew that
we are doing the work of stitching together NOAAPort tiles and sending
out the resulting full scenes in a format that is readily usable by
a variety of application packages including AWIPS, GEMPAK, IDV/McIDAS-V
and McIDAS-X.

re:
> GMT (Generic Mapping Tools) out of U of
> Hawaii sort of works, and gdal certainly makes images from the netCDF .
> . . it is the last piece I am looking for, reprojecting.  I even was
> playing with QGIS after using gdal_translate to make navigated tiff
> images . . . but the command line structure is . . . lacking.

OK.

re:
> Just let me know when you have something to try, or would like a guinea pig.

Again, you can try things out using Unidata McIDAS-X v2018x, but you have to
change the ADDE dataset definition to use SCMI as the type instead of ABIN.
I will make an announcement to the address@hidden email list
as soon as Unidata McIDAS v2019 is available for download.

Ticket ID: IGK-131677
Department: Support McIDAS