[McIDAS #GNT-692922]: 20190911: Problem with getting subsections of GOES 16

Hi Marcial and Anthony,

re:
> How are you? Getting close to retirement? I hope NOT!

I get closer all of the time, but I still don't have a specific date
in mind.

re:
> Are you going to
> the JSC in Boston? I will be there and would be nice to see you.

No, I am not going :-(

re:
> I have a student, Anthony (cced), working in his final graduation
> project. He wants to create a simple system that plots GOES16 images
> for specific countries in the Caribbean and Central America regions.
> Something similar to the RAMSDIS system but in a smaller scale. We are
> trying to minimize the bandwidth needed to obtain such products because
> many countries, even today can not afford (bandwidth wise) to get the
> entire full disk image just to discard most of it later on.

OK, I completely understand.

re:
> My student has been trying to use python-awips, and also the examples
> in jupyterhub.unidata.ucar.edu <http://jupyterhub.unidata.ucar.edu>,
> but most of them rely on getting a lot of data, and just using what you
> need.

OK.

re:
> I remember that McIDAS ADDE can subset in real time, just whatever
> you need.

Correct.

re:
> Do you know if there is a way to do similar things with GOES
> 16 data?

Yes, one could use McIDAS-X, McIDAS-V or the IDV to make requests
to the ADDE servers we operate (adde.ucar.edu, atm.ucar.edu,
lead.unidata.ucar.edu) and create "sectors" on the fly.  I suggest
that using either the IDV or McIDAS-V to do this would be the
most straightforward thing to do.  What I have in mind is:

- learning how to create images with the specific coverages that you
  want

- setup a script to run that will run either to do a list of
  coverages, one at a time

- having the script save the displays as rasters (e.g., GIF, JPEG,
  movies) to a specific location

I setup something "similar" to this for my participation in the UCAR
Africa Initiative, and it worked pretty well.

Two comments:

- SSEC has really promoted the use of Jython (Java Python) for their
  scripting efforts

- Unidata developed ISL as a scripting language for the IDV

  ISL is in McIDAS-V, but SSEC doesn't talk about it much since they
  prefer the Jython approach.

Please let us know which direction you intend to take so that we can
answer questions if/when you have them.

> Cheers,
>
> Marcial.

Ticket ID: GNT-692922