[McIDAS #EDP-121151]: McIDAS-X ADT Cyclone Intensity Calculation for Images outside ADDE servers

Hi Sohail,

re:
> Hope you are fine and doing good. Thanks for the previous guidance, it was
> really helpful.

I'm glad to hear that I was of some help!

re:
> Once again i need your guidance, as i searched out for the way to upload
> data set (cyclone images) to the McIDAS and use ADT to find the intensity of
> the cyclone. But unfortunately i didn't find any way to load and create my
> data set.
>
> 1. Is it possible to load or create new data set from cyclone images in
> hand, not downloading from the data server provided in the list
> using McIDAS?

It is indeed possible to create and use ADDE datasets in your local
installation of McIDAS-X ** as long as you have images in formats that
McIDAS-X understands **.

re:
> The image format is .*gpf*, as  my supervisor provided me those images
> which are supposed to be in the format from which we can calculate
> the intensity using ADT.

I am not sure what a GPF format image actually is.  I did a Google search
for GPF image format, and I got no useful information back.  Can you explain
what the GPF format is?

One thing that I can say immediately even without knowing what the GPF
format is, is that McIDAS-X likely does not understand it.

re:
> 2. Can you please guide how to load or use the following cyclone images to
> obtain the intensity for that

Until I understand what GPF format images are, I can provide no information.

re:
> 3. There are 66 files of the cyclone, how to make an animation or loop
> through all the images and it shows like clip to display the cyclone.

If the images were in a format that McIDAS-X understands, the procedure
would be:

1) create an ADDE dataset whose members are the images in question

2) start a McIDAS-X session that has enough frames to hold displays
   of all of the images

3) use the IMGDISP command to load the images

4) use the LB command to define the image loop bounds

5) use the DR command to define the dwell rates for each frame
   in the loop

6) turn looping on either by typing L as a command input or
   TERM L ON

re:
> I am looking for your guidance, have a nice day.

Again, I have no familiarity with the GPF image format, so I need
an explanation.  And, again, I know that McIDAS does not support
the GPF format directly.

> Here are the files.
> ?
> gpf.tar.gz
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/15lAXZWQzTOur0py3tx-qGIGnHkGIPL3Z/view?usp=drive_web>
> ?
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/15lAXZWQzTOur0py3tx-qGIGnHkGIPL3Z/view

I may download the compressed tar file while at work due to its size, but I
do not hold great hope that the images in it will be usable in McIDAS-X.

Ticket ID: EDP-121151
Department: Support McIDAS