[McIDAS #YGF-361048]: GOES R calibration

Hi Ioan,

re:
> I'd like to find out about how do you plan to deal with calibration in
> GOES-R adde.
>
> AFAIK, ADDE  can calibrate the data (type parameter if I remember
> correctly).

You are remembering correctly.

re:
> I assume you(at UCAR) take GRB stream (have an antenna) and convert it to
> NetCDF using CSPP GRB software

Yes, we are using the CSPP GEO package from UW/SSEC/CIMSS.

re:
> and then serve these NetCDF files using ADDE.
>
> 1.Is this assumption correct?

Absolutely correct.

re:
> 2. If yes are you planning to support various calibration (AKA type) for
> GOES-R?

Yes, calibration is an integral part of the ADDE server that SSEC wrote
for the ABI imagery available in the GRB (GOES ReBroadcast).

re:
> Id be happy if you could elaborate on how you plan to handle the
> calibration for GOES R adde stream in order to prepare myself.

The calibration information contained in the ABI netCDF files is instantiated
in the McIDAS calibration module, kbxabin.dlm.  When the end user asks for
calibrated values (e.g., ALB, TEMP, RAD, BRIT), the RAW values are used as
input to the calibration formula, and calibrated values are returned in
the transaction.

We have setup IDD distribution of the full data fields content of the GRB
in a test mode here in UCAR.  We were pleasantly surprised that the
compression (including shuffle factor) implemented in the netCDF files
decreased the size of the products down to a manageable level, so we
feel confident that sites that have enough bandwidth can ingest the
entire suite of products.

We have also setup ADDE serving of the GOES-16 ABI imagery on one
of our newer motherlode class servers, and have opened this to the
world (but not announced it yet).  Please feel free to test out the
ADDE access when you like ** without assuming that this service is
operational **.  Here are the particulars:

server:           lead.unidata.ucar.edu
ADDE group:       RTGOESR
ADDE descriptors: CONUS, FD, M1, M2
                  CONUSC01 ... CONUSC16
                  FDC01    ... FDC16
                  M1C01    ... M1C16
                  M2C01    ... M2C16

Please provide any feedback on this service.

Ticket ID: YGF-361048
Department: Support McIDAS