[McIDAS #EDP-121151]: McIDAS-X ADT Cyclone Intensity Calculation for Images outside ADDE servers

Hi Sohail,

re:
> Thanks for the quick reply.

No worries.

re:
> 1. What is the format of the McIDAS-X image format?
> These are the images of the cyclone, may be we can able to convert it into
> proper format of the McIDAS-X once know the format of McIDAS-X.

The McIDAS AREA file format is documented in the McIDAS Programmer's Reference
manual:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/prog_man.html

re:
> 2. These images are on my local machine, i am worrying how to add these
> images from local machine to the McIDAS-X data set? Is there any input
> interface for that or command to load images into the McIDAS-X data set
> using command line.

The McIDAS Learning Guide and workshop training materials have sections
on how to create ADDE datasets.  The operative McIDAS-X command is
DSSERVE.  Please check the McIDAS User's Guide for how to run DSSERVE
or refer to the built in HELP.

re:
> 3. These are the images from *Super Typhoon Soudelor *August 2015. Can i
> find images of this typhoon on ADDE servers and test ADT for that?

It is possible that the UW/SSEC Data Center has imagery for this event.

re:
> need
> help to find those images and calculate the intensity for that.(Will be
> really thankful).

Check out the SSEC Data Center web pages to see if there is satellite
coverage for this storm.

> Here are the links about Super Typhoon Soudelor
> http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/asia/typhoon-soudelor/index.html
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Soudelor

re:
> As you mentioned that
> * 1) create an ADDE dataset whose members are the images in question*
> (How to make those images members of the ADDE data set, can you please
> give an example using commad?)

Please review the various training and reference materials that I
referred to above and in previous emails.

re:
> Also there is a *Chinese satellite* in the ADDE server list.
> * ?satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.govNOAA               PUB (FY2C (China),
> GOES-East, GOES-West, METEOSAT-9 (EUMETSAT, 6-hourly), MTSAT (Japan))*
> *?? *
> 1. Can i get the *Super Typhoon* *Soudelor* images from that satellite?

It is doubtful since that dataset was for real-time data, not archived
data.

re:
> 2. Is there any other Chinese satellite on the ADDE server list like that
> of *FY3C* or *FY4C* recently launched.

Not here in Unidata.  Again, the UW/SSEC Data Center may have the imagery
that you want/need.

Ticket ID: EDP-121151
Department: Support McIDAS