1999713: 19990713: ACARS Decoders

>From: "Batson, Bryan" <address@hidden>

Bryan-

>Let me see if I can make some assumptions here without looking stupid..
>
>1.  ACARS data is available from FSL in netCDF format.

Not looking stupid so far. ;-)

>2.  McIDAS 7.6 appears to have an ADDE server for netCDF 'point' data. (see
>ncdfks.c in core).

I know it's there, but I'm not sure how (well) it works.

>3.  An LDM client at JSC can receive ACARS data from FSL in netCDF format.

No stupidity at all in these assumptions.

>If all these are correct, this should not be a huge deal.  If LDM works like
>I think it does, it should be able to kick off PTCOPY commands that would
>create and update MD files, which could then be plotted by PTDISP or some
>other suitable command (modified PIREPS?).

Well, here I would take issue.  Why create an MD file if McIDAS can serve
up data directly from netCDF files?  I thought the idea of a netCDF point
server was that you could use PTDISP or any other point command to display
data directly from netCDF files. You could however, have the LDM kick
off some display (or other) process upon reciept of an ACARs netCDF file.
I think you have to create some sort of table that relates the netCDF
variables to McIDAS variables, but that should not be a big deal.

>For Tim, it might be useful to have a sample of this netCDF data to give the
>ADDE server a try.

I agree.  I'm cc'ing Tom on this in case he wants to comment on how he
plans to handle the ACARs data in McIDAS.

(Also, it's better to send questions like these to address@hidden
instead of me directly.  My involvement with McIDAS is waning so Tom is
a better person to ask and we both read the support mailbox anyways).

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Server               http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
McIDAS Demonstration Machine  http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu/