19990713: McIDAS-XCD options

>From: "E.A. Ripley" <address@hidden>

>I am not clear what my best route would be to get the MD and GRID data
>again.
>
>Is it reasonable to follow your "McIDAS-XCD for OS/2 7.50
>installation/upgrade procedure" even though McIDAS is dying at the end of
>this month?

McIDAS-OS2 is not dying pre se.  Our full support for it is being
terminated.  What this means in practice is that we will do no more
development on McIDAS-OS2.  It should, however, keep working as before
as long as the datastreams available from NWS, etc. do not change.
There is no guarantee of this, however.

>I only need to keep my weather system going another year (unitil I retire)
>so I am not thinking long term.

OK.  Your easiest route may well be to get XCD for OS/2 working.  As
I understand things, your other option would require you to upgrade your
Sun to Solaris and then load in McIDAS-X and McIDAS-XCD.

>From address@hidden  Wed Jul 14 08:49:36 1999

>Please, It has been a long time since I accessed the ftp site and the old
>way doesn't seem to work.

>How do I do it now?

We change the user name and password to the McIDAS FTP site quite some
time ago.  The information you need is:

machine: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user: umcidas
pass: XXXXXX