Re: linux queue size?

Hi Daryl,

Very helpful, thank you!  I'm forwarding this response to Art Person at
Penn State who wants to build a large queue.

Very odd about glibc.  Art is running RH 7.3 so I'm guessing he has the
latest glibc, although I don't know if he's kept up with all the
patches.  That could be show stopper...

Art, please let me know where you would like to go from here.  I'm
available for any further questions.

Anne

Daryl Herzmann wrote:

> Hi Anne!
>
> The final queue size was ~ 3.2 G, I think.
>
> I did this on a AMD Athlon 1.1 Ghz with a Gig of memory running RH 7.1
>
> Here is the problem.  I updated glibc to the lastest errata and now I can
> not build a large queue again. ?!?  Let me rephrase, I can't build a large
> queue with binaries compiled against the latest glibc.  I can build a
> large queue with the old binaries.  Make sense?
>
> In the src/configure file, I added
>                CFLAGS=" -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE"
>
> Oh, pqcreate needs to be fooled as well.  For some reason "-s 3G" does not
> work, but "-s 3000M" does.?!?
>
> Was this the info you wanted?
>
> Daryl
>

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> >Hi there, Daryl!
> >
> >I have question for you.  Ultimately, how big a queue did you get on
> >your Linux box *that ran successfully*?  And how did you build it?  I'm
> >assuming that all your experience was on a 32 bit machine - is that
> >right?
> >
> >I'm asking because we have a site that wants to build a queue larger
> >than 2GB.  Your our man for that!
> >
> >Anne
> >

> --
> /**
>  * Daryl Herzmann (address@hidden)
>  * Program Assistant -- Iowa Environmental Mesonet
>  * http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu
>  */

                                  Boulder, CO  80307