[IDV #KOQ-374173]: CMC

Hi Bob,
Sorry on the delay in getting back to you.  This got lost in our support inbox.

> Please excuse my lack of tech understanding. I have just started using the
> IDV for weather studies.
>
> I would like to know if there is an easy way to use the CMC grib datasets
> with the IDV, in the catalogue?
>
> While I can download individual grib datasets from (I have user and pass from
> them)
> http://dd.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/grib/public/hires/CMC_glb_00/
>
> I was wondering if there was a way to add this to the catalogue so I can
> automate some of the download and image generation processes?
>
> I`m trying to avoid writing complex shell scripts to do such a thing, and my
> scripting knowledge is seriously flawed!!

All the catalog is is a listing of datasets. Catalogs can contain references to
local files but typically they are generated by a remote data server and
contain opendap urls that point back to that server.

I'm not sure how the above server is configured but they could look into
installing a TDS server:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/

The IDV can read remote grid files via http if the http server is configured to
support byte range requests. It should also handle the basic http
authentication that the above server is using. However, there can be
performance ramifications with this approach.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: KOQ-374173
Department: Support IDV