[IDV #IFC-104064]: how to save as tif

Hi Cynthia-

> I attached a txt of the dump of ncdump -h.  I was able to extrac the data
> for the variables using ncdump -v .  However it would have been nice to
> Extract individual frames to a jpg for publication.  Now it looks like I
> will write a program that reads in the individual variables I extracted
> using ncdump; display individual frames and make a tiff or jpg.  I can do
> this but if you have another solution that would be welcome.  I already have
> the image program written so it isn't that much work to get it to work with
> txt files written in the ncdump/ netcdf format.

You could use a screen grabber program like Gimp or if on Windows, just
use Alt-PrintScreen to capture the window.

Another option would be to run the VisAD spreadsheet which does have a
capture to JPEG option.  The Omni Control is really just a VisAD
SpreadSheet cell.  You can run the SpreadSheet by typing:

jre/bin/java -Xmx512m -jar visad.jar

in the directory where you installed the IDV.  From the File menu,
use the Import Data option to open your netCDF file.  Set up your
display as you did in the omni control and then use the File->
Take JPEG snapshot to save an individual frame as you step through
the animation.

> Thank you so much for all your help.

Sorry we didn't have a solution for you with the IDV.

Don

Ticket ID: IFC-104064
Department: Support IDV