[IDV #LLH-822820]: IDV - Viewing netCDF files in IDV

Hi Gregory-

> Institution: Plymouth State University
> Package Version: 2.1
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware Information: n/a
> Inquiry: I'm using IDV to open polarimetric radar data, and I'm having some
> trouble. The data are in netCDF files. I noticed that IDV supports netCDF
> files, however the data are neither point nor gridded data. I have to choose
> the "I'm still feeling lucky" as the file type before I can at least view the
> data. The omni display, after tinkering around with the mapping and control
> features, will display the data. Is there a way to display the polarimetric
> radar data without using the omni display?

Not at present.  This is the first time I've seen this netCDF format.  NSSL
has several different netCDF radar formats.  We do support the NCAR EOL sweep
file format in netCDF, but this does not conform to that.

> The next problem is that I can't find a way to geolocate these data. I have a
> code_index.lb file that was included with the data. Is it possible that this
> file contains information to geolocate these data? I do know the latitude and
> longitude of the RDA, so is it possible to pull up a generic map with those
> coordinates as the center and display it on the omni display?

There is some geolocation information in the global attributes of the netCDF
file.
However, since we don't support this format, there's no way to get at that
information
to use it in the IDV.

> Also, is it possible to do an image capture from the omni display? I've tried
> the image capture command from the IDV dashboard, and it tries to capture the
> image from it's map display.

No, but you are the second person this week to ask about that.  The best
solution I can offer would be to use the Alt-Print Screen command to capture
the window and paste it into a program like Paint and then save it to
a file.

> I've posted the code_index.lb file and examples netCDF data file on my
> webpage.
>
> <vortex.plymouth.edu/~gggarner/radar>
>
> The data was provided to me from the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL).
>
> Thank you for your time and I appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thanks for the sample files.  I'll pass these along to our netCDF people
dealing with radar formats for their comments.

Ticket ID: LLH-822820
Department: Support IDV