[IDV #IFC-104064]: how to save as tif

Hi  Cynthia-

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  It really helps me figure out
what's going on.

> I'm sorry I have tried so many things I confused you and me both.  Hopefully
> this clears some things up.  Getting the file to you via ftp or http is a
> possibility but requires some hoops.  Let's see if this summary helps and I
> will get the data (large) on a server for your access in parallel.
>
> Summary of partial success:
>
> I have an .nc file.
> I have read it in successfully using "I'm Still feeling lucky" using the
> Data Chooser.

This uses the generic VisAD reader which handles a lot of different formats,
including netCDF.

> Then I have used "create display" button getting an omni display
> Then I have used "controls" button and hit the forward Go button to see the
> movie of the frames.

The OMNI control doesn't have the ability to save off the individual frames.
I was confused and thought you were getting the Quick Time display control.
Sorry for the confusion.

> I can also read it successfully in using Image (gif jpg png) format and
> create a display. Hit controls, go, and get a movie (similar to above)

It turns out that the Image format just uses the same reader as the
"I'm Still Feeling Lucky".  So, it's a bit misleading.

> Summary of ~partial~ fails (like a near-miss I guess :-):
>
> I can successfully read it in using netcdf point data but cannot
> successfully create a display or get a point data list WHICH would also work
> for me instead of saving a tif --- I get errors -0-
>
> An error has occurred:
> Creating obs
> Unable to make a PointObsDataset from Y:\T16uc.nc
> Error = Cant find a Point/Station adapter for Y:\T16uc.nc
> Unable to make a PointObsDataset from Y:\T16uc.nc
> Error = Cant find a Point/Station adapter for Y:\T16uc.nc

Well the problem here is that the Point Data reader is a bit brain dead.
It doesn't report an error until you try to plot something.  I'm in
the process of fixing that.

> Complete Fails:
>
> I have not been to get a movie to automatically play!
>
> I have not been able to save the individual frames of the movie using
> capture! When I Go to Displays->Current View->View->Capture->Image  the
> result is a blank jpg.

This option is only for the main display and not for the Omni control.
My apologies for sending you down the wrong path.

So, the issue is that the IDV doesn't understand your netCDF file except
through the generic reader and the Omni Control has no facility for
capturing frames.

What type of data is this netCDF file (point, grid, something else?).
What type of display do you want to make out of it?

If the file is really big, can you at least send me a dump of the CDL
(ncdump -h).

Don

Ticket ID: IFC-104064
Department: Support IDV