[IDV #QZR-135307]: IDV 2.1 os x memory allocation

Hi Steve-

> I am running IDV 2.1 on an Intel Mac Book Pro (2.33 GHz) with OS X
> 10.4.8 with 2.0 GB RAM.  The program runs fine, but I am trying to
> increase the memory allocation beyond 512 MB.  I tried editing /
> Applications/IDV_2.1/runIDV to change the memory allocation, but this
> has no influence on the memory allocation when clicking on the
> application icon.  When I execute the command 'runIDV' from a
> Terminal window, however, it recognizes the change.  Is there a way
> to update the application icon to recognize changes in 'runIDV'?

The problem is that the IDV launcher on Mac OS-X does not
invoke the runIDV script.  Instead, you have to edit the
launcher.  Here are some instructions from another user:

"The IDV install on the Mac OS X comes with the maximum memory preset for 512
mb. In order to increase the memory to say 1024 mb, you need to edit the
Info.plist file in the IDV application contents. To do this first go into the
IDV folder in the Applications  folder and holding the Control button on the
keyboard and click on "IDV". For a 3-button mouse just right click. This will
give the Contents of the file in a new window. Then click on Contents folder.
You can edit the Info.plist file by dragging it into a text editor or into a
terminal window (type vi first). After the line VMOptions is the memory setting
"-Xmx512m". Change this to -Xmx1024m and save the file. You can now launch the
IDV by double clicking on the IDV application. You should see 1024 MB as the
allocated memory at the bottom of the IDV window.

Alternatively for unix types: in a terminal window type vi
/Applications/IDV_2.1/IDV.app/Contents/Info.plist
where IDV_2.1 is the version (directory) of your IDV install."

If this is not clear, let me know and I'll try to help more.  If
it is clear, I'll add it to the FAQ for the next release.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: QZR-135307
Department: Support IDV