[IDV #QBD-872656]: IDV - idv questions

Hi John,

> Inquiry: I'm spinning up on idv for a mesoscale course this spring. As I
> demo'd at the summer workshop, I have a couple of local products on the file
> server that I'd like to use in bundles (point files of surface obs and RTMA
> surface weather grids).

> 1) is it possible to have a bundle using local files that defaults to most
> recent 5 files in directory? In other words, the bundles I seem to be able to
> generate from the local file server require hardwiring the date/time of the
> file.

Yes. In the Data Chooser there should be a "Directory" tab. (Assuming you are
running 2.0
or 2.1). This allows you to specify a file system directory to look at and to
select the
latest N files in that directory. Make sure you select "netCDF Point Data Files"
for the Data Source Type. See attached image. You can specify  polling for auto
updates
if so desired. Also - these same settings  can be accessed from the data source
properties.

By the way - you should notice a *big* performance improvement over the point
data reading
that you were experiencing at the summer unidata workshop. We did alot of work
last summer on that.

> 2) when I import the point data, I get the whole world, rather than a zoom
> into a more manageable area. Is it possible to control this?
Assuming you are running IDV 2.1 you can set a spatial subset either in the
Field Selector
or from the data source properties.

> 3) when I use the ADDE servers, there is only data for the current day. I'd
> like to grab some radar and profiler from previous days. Is that possible
> somehow?

Unfortunately not. For now, we can only access radar and satellite imagery for
0Z onwards.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: QBD-872656
Department: Support IDV