[IDV #HTX-814999]: IDV - configuring image defaults

HP-

> Institution: EUMETSAT
> Package Version: 2.0
> Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
> Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.;
> java.version:1.5.0_06; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\IDV_2.0\\jre;
> j3d.version:1.3.2 fcs (build12); j3d.vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.;
> j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
> Inquiry: Hi
>
> According to the User Guide in the imagedefaults.xml you may specify a
> dataset together with
> the server name, sperated by a colon. I tried with  examples given in the
> guide, in particular
> the first one accessing adde.ucar.edu. This one only works when you delete the
> dataset part and puti it manually into the Data Chooser.

Sometimes we find it confusing. ;-)  I think it's a class of terminology
between the docs and the widget.  imagedefaults uses McIDAS language
(group/descr) and the widget uses dataset/image data type.

There are three widgets in the chooser that make up the server:group/descr
triad:

Server:  - the server portion
Dataset: - the group portion
Image Data Type:  - the descriptor

So, if you have adde.ucar.edu:RTIMAGES/GE-IR  you would put adde.ucar.edu
for the Server widget, RTIMAGES for the Dataset widget and select the
appropriate Image Data Type that corresponds to GE-IR.  Confusion in the
latter is further compounded by the fact that the widget shows the
descriptive name, so on adde.ucar.edu, GE-IR corresponds to
GOES-East 10.7 um IR.  At least your datasets don't have descriptive
names. ;-)

> The second one I find rather puzzleing. EUM_AD/M8 is the dataset. What about
> the
> server name?

Any of server:group/descr fields are optional.  This allows you some
flexibility so you can set up redundant servers with the same group/descr
data and all will get the same default values.  not having the server
is equivalent to *:EUM_AD/M8.  When we create case studies, we may change
the group name (e.g. RTIMAGES to CASE1) but keep the descriptor the same so
we can have */GE-IR which would apply to all groups that have a descriptor
of GE-IR (e.g. RTIMAGES/GE-IR or CASE1/GE-IR).

> Most probably it's me that does not understand properly the default setting
> in this
> context.

Since this is the first pass at this page, we'd welcome suggestions for
improvement.  Hopefully the explanation above will help in the mean time.

I'm off to camp with the family today, so have a great weekend!

Don

Ticket ID: HTX-814999
Department: Support IDV