[IDV #QWY-927168]: IDV - coordinate requirements for gridded display

Hi Craig-

> Institution: National Center for Atmospheric Research
> Package Version: 1.3b2
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware Information: Dell
> Inquiry: Hello,
>
> I am working in the Climate and Global Dynamics division at NCAR with the
> Biome-BGC climate data model and Daymet surface analyses, which generate
> netcdf output in (npts,ndays) files, with the gridpoints based on a 1-to-10
> km grid.  The latitudes and longitudes of the grid points aren't currently
> saved in the output files, but are kept in a separate file.
>
> Because the output is in (npts,ndays) format, I assume that to display
> gridded output I will need to post-process the output to generate horizontal
> grids of some kind.  Is there a specification to use to put the data into
> displayable form?  e.g., do the latitudes and longitude arrays need to be in
> the output files, or is there a generic display for a 2-D array?

We advocate the use of the CF (Climate and Forecast) conventions:

http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/CF-1.0.html

There are others at CGD who are familiar with this convention who could
help (Steve Aulenbach, Brian Eaton), but if you have more questions,
let us know.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: QWY-927168
Department: Support IDV