[IDV #HTX-814999]: IDV - configuring image defaults

HP-

> Thank you, the things are now clear to me. There remains one point. My
> drop-down list of the Dataset box is cluttered with some earlier
> unsuccessful attempts with invalid names. How can I clear the clutter in
> the list?

Select the item you want to delete and then clear it using Ctrl-A to
select the text and delete, or just backspace.  Once the field is clear,
hit return and the item will be cleared from the list.

> Hope you camping has been rewarding. We treat ourselves with movies in
> these days: the Locarno Film Festival is on with good new films and very
> interesting Retrospectives. The evening movies are open-air and shown on
> Piazza Grande that holds 8000 seated people.

We had good weather and fun camping (didn't catch any fish, though).
The film festival sounds grand!

> 1. I add the top example in the guide (adde.ucar.edu) to my
> imagedefaults.xml.
> 2. I select data from another server with all Data Chooser parameters
> different from those given for adde.ucar.edu in imagedefaults.xml
> 3. When I now change the server name to adde.ucer.edu I would expect
> that IDV loades all the pertinent information from imagedafaults.xml.
> But it does not, e.g.  . you have used another server/dataset/ et al
> before and you change to adde.ucar

I'm not totally clear on what you are asking, but here is some info:

- the list of servers and groups (Datasets in server lingo) are
initially set by the following properties in the idv.properties file:

##Semicolon separated list of adde servers
application.addeservers = adde.geo.nsf.gov;adde.ucar.edu;papagayo.unl.edu;cacimb
o.ggy.uga.edu;stratus.al.noaa.gov;weather3.admin.niu.edu;twister.millersville.ed
u;pscwx.plymouth.edu
## if there is an existing preference list, add these in or delete
application.addeservers.merge = true
application.addeservers.delete = weather2.admin.niu.edu;atm.geo.nsf.gov

application.imagedescriptors=RTIMAGES;GINICOMP;GINIEAST;GINIWEST;CIMSS;NEXRCOMP
## if there is an existing preference list, don't add these in
application.imagedescriptors.merge = false

You could create your own idv.properties file (with just the lines
above) and change the values and then place that in your
~/.metapps/DefaultIdv directory to override the system defaults.

- When you manually type in names, they get saved into a preference list
which is stored in main.xml in your ~/.metapps/DefaultIdv directory.

- The lists of servers/groups are not populated by imagedefaults.xml, only
the Properties section.  The idv.properties file pre-dates the use
of imagedefaults.xml, so we never considered merging any functionality,
but that would make more sense.  Also, there is no connection between
the groups available on a server and the server using the properties which
is problematic.  We need a way to do this and using imagedefaults.xml
might be a way to define that connection.

-  selecting a different server only clears out the widgets, but
does not change to the datasets for that server since there is no
connection at present.

Hope those nuggets of information help explain the behavior (even
if they don't resolve the issue. ;-)).

Don Murray

Ticket ID: HTX-814999
Department: Support IDV