[IDV #RJI-845865]: (FYI) On Linux: successful installation (manually) but not with the IDV-installation script ---John McCormick]

Hi John-

> >What version of Linux are you running this on?  Is it an X86 version?
> >

> In answer to your question, the Linux Version is: "2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp" ...
>
> Whether it's an X86 version, I can't say however the "uname -a" command
> gives the following:
>
> *palm:/opt/home/mccormik%  uname -a
> Linux palm 2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue May 17 17:52:23 EDT 2005 i686
> i686 i386 GNU/Linux*

The i386 indicates that it is an x86 machine.

> >>$ sh idv_2_0RC3_linux-i386_installer.sh
> >>Unpacking JRE ...
> >>Preparing JRE ...
> >>bin/unpack200: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
> >>Error unpacking jar files. Aborting.
> >>You might need administrative priviledges for this operation.
> >>$ exit

The only way I've been able to recreate this is to run the Linux
installer while logged into a non-Linux system.   I contacted the
developers of the installer package and they pointed to this as
a potential problem.  Is it possible you were logged into a
different (non-Linux) system through a terminal window when you
tried to do the installation?

Another possibility is that there is an issue of compatibility with
the gcc library on your system and the version of Java that we are
using.  The kernel on your machine is a couple of years old, but
Java 1.5 has been out for a couple of years so I think this is a remote
possibility.

> >Could you try running the Unix installer without the JRE bundled with it?
> >

> *Does this mean that I have to go into the installation script and do
> some editing??
> (Or do I have to go "somewhere" and change the name of some "JRE" stuff so
> that it will not be referenced?)....

You can just download the installer labeled "IDV 2.0RC3 Java Installer"
from the downloads page (file is idv_2_0RC3_unix_nojre_installer.sh).

Don Murray

Ticket ID: RJI-845865
Department: Support IDV