[IDV #RJI-845865]: (FYI) On Linux: successful installation (manually) but not with the IDV-installation script ---John McCormick]

Hi John-

> Here is the results (with messages) of running the IDV-Installer program

What version of Linux are you running this on?  Is it an X86 version?

> $ ls
> IDV_2.0RC3                          help
> idv_src_2.0RC3.jar
> META-INF                            idv_2_0RC3_linux-i386_installer.sh
> metapps
> RUNME_2.0RC                         idv_javadoc_2.0RC3.jar
>
> $ sh idv_2_0RC3_linux-i386_installer.sh
> Unpacking JRE ...
> Preparing JRE ...
> bin/unpack200: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
> Error unpacking jar files. Aborting.
> You might need administrative priviledges for this operation.
> $ exit
>
> It would seem that if I (as a "non-sys-admin") can download (from
> unidata) all of the jar files, zip files, etc., expand or "unzip" all of
> the necessary jar and zip files, compile and successfully run IDV as a
> regular user --- that I would also be able to execute the "installer"
> script that IDV developers have created.... (At least, in the previous
> IDV versions, I was able to successfully run the installer program as a
> regular user and not necessarily as a systems-administrator).

We're using a new installer package for this version.  We had to switch
from InstallAnywhere.

> FYI, I have been able to "manually" download, unjar, unzip, compile and
> run all of the necessary files successfully but I thought I'd let you
> know about the installation program just in case it might "reveal" some
> other potential problems in the future.

Could you try running the Unix installer without the JRE bundled with it?

Thanks.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: RJI-845865
Department: Support IDV